To get the complete picture of the extensive history of the Halter Ranch Airstrip, one must start at the beginning.
In 1943 J.F. MacGillivray purchased a piece of ranchland in Adelaida and named it MacGillivray Ranch, a perfect place to raise his young family. As time went on, the innovative MacGillivray family built a hunting lodge on their property to attract hunters as well as built several small cabins throughout the ranch to host their guests. Additionally, the ranch served as an event space for many local gatherings. Visiting the ranch became so sought after that the MacGillivrays realized they needed a way to make it more accessible for guests to come and visit. In 1967, with the help of neighbors, the MacGillivrays built a small airstrip on the property to accommodate guests traveling from different parts of the state. The community was often invited to the ranch to participate in short landing contests, flower sack bombings, and air shows.