Historic Halter Ranch is a vineyard and winery located in the heart of the Paso Robles' Westside Adelaida District. Tradition and innovation mix at Halter Ranch to produce Bordeaux and Rhône-style wines of the highest quality. Halter Ranch is growing and looking for an organized, detail oriented, trustworthy, professional to join our team. We are looking for team-oriented individuals who are enthusiastic and passionate about wine and people. Excellent time management skills and the ability to multi-task are a must!
The Enologist/Lab Technician manages the laboratory, its processes and personnel, and ensures analysis is timely, accurate and repeatable. This position is responsible for developing SOPs, growing laboratory capabilities, and assisting with bulk wine inventory management and data entry. As part of a small and dynamic team, they will provide cross-functional support to the cellar and winemaking teams, as necessary.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for all chemical and microbiological analyses from harvest through bottling, including but not limited to:
- Vineyard maturity analysis
- Fermentation monitoring
- Press, racking, blend analysis
- Monthly lot monitoring and tracking
- Filtration, pre-bottling, and bottling QC analysis
- Develop, review and update lab SOPs and protocols for all required analysis and generate new test procedures.
- Manage the calibration and maintenance of lab equipment to run the following analysis: pH, TA, brix, G/F, VA, ML, phenolics assays, micro plating, cell counts and viability screening, filterability testing, DO, DCO2, FSO2, and TSO2.
- Recommend and manage purchase of additional lab equipment.
- Manage lab analysis entry and tracking into NAV and ensure timely and accurate communication of lab analysis to winemaking team.
- Perform benchtop trials and create blends as requested by winemaking.
- Responsible for completion of daily bottling QC reports.
- Ensure safety at all times including use of PPE equipment & HAZMAT standards.
- Calculate & review chemical additions and assist cellar when needed.
- Assist with bulk inventory management and work order data entry, as necessary.
- Cultivate a culture of engagement, continuous improvement and quality communication amongst peers and direct reports.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred in chemistry, Enology, Food Science or equivalent.
- 3 years wine-related lab experience
- Strong analytical and math skills required
- Proficient in Microsoft Word & Excel
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Able to multi-task effectively
- Detail-oriented and organizes
- Ability to work split shift as necessary (harvest)
- Ability to lift up to 45 lbs.
- Ability to drive a car
- Ability to stand long periods at a time
- Ability to pull, push, kneel, bend, reach
WANT TO JOIN THE HALTER TEAM?
To apply submit resume and cover letter to: Human Resources Manager, Michelle Robles at firstname.lastname@example.org. Compensation dependent on experience. This is a full-time position with excellent benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Retirement, Generous PTO and more.